Monday, June 7, 2010

It's storming down in Texas!


June 7th Monday Slap me with a kayak paddle and call me Stevie Ray Vaughn! It sure is storming in the Allegeny Valley. It rained all Saturaday night and most of Sunday with a chance of tornados just thrown in for flavor. My brother showed up in Coudersport on Sunday and we drove to Larabee Pa which looked like the best place to launch my kayak. As we crossed the bridge over the Allegeny River I had a clear view down stream. The river had turned into a baby poop brown and there was 2 big trees down across the river. These are called sweepers and they sweep the river clear of everything and body coming down the river. The river had already risen several feet with more water from feeder stream increasing volume all the time. We drove down to Port Allegeny and it was more of the same or worse. Than I had the idea of going below the Kinzu Dam.




The dam would hold back alot of the rivers mighty punch. I noticed as we drove by the dam the lake behind the dam was very high. The river below the dam was very inviting with a blue glow. Before jumping into the calm water I wanted to talk to Mr Ranger at the visitor's center. Keith the ranger had some very good advice "Don't get on the river!" With streams below above flood stage and he was just waiting for the engineer to give the ok to open the flood gates on the dam. It wasn't going to be 10 foot high wall of water but the height would rise fast. So I decided to abort-abort. I bought a ticket back to the Big D Denver and here I am high and dry! What a lovey trip I had visiting Pa with all it's beauty and beautiful people. I will post other trips that I have gone on.

2 Comments:

At June 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Jonathan said...

Vince: loved following your journey on the blog. Glad you are human and you feel your feet. I was beginning to think you were and extra-terrestial being. Call if you are still in Pittsburgh. Made cherry jam from our tree today, you can try some with tea and scones. --Jonathan

 
At June 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM , Blogger gypsylady said...

Vince,
I just loved your Blog...such a great storyteller (but we all KNOW that).
Can't wait to hear about your next adventure.
my best~Sue

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home